Talk:Vinyl group

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to navigation Jump to search
WikiProject Chemistry (Rated Start-class, Mid-importance)
WikiProject iconThis article is within the scope of WikiProject Chemistry, a collaborative effort to improve the coverage of chemistry on Wikipedia. If you would like to participate, please visit the project page, where you can join the discussion and see a list of open tasks.
Start This article has been rated as Start-Class on the project's quality scale.
 Mid  This article has been rated as Mid-importance on the project's importance scale.

Vinyl chloride[edit]

Is vinyl harmful if its in dolls? —Preceding unsigned comment added by (talk) 21:24, 31 March 2008 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Confusion with PVC[edit]

I arrived here editing a bunch of doll pages, and looking at Special:WhatLinksHere/Vinyl it looks like there are a great number of popular culture related pages that link here that I think should more accurately be linking to the Polyvinyl chloride article. (looking at the Vinyl polymer article which notes: "In popular usage, "vinyl" refers only to PVC.")

Would it be possible to add something like "for PVC plastic, commonly referred to as vinyl, see Polyvinyl chloride" or or something similar to the otheruses template? I think this would help those not already familiar with the vinyl family more than the current nonspecific otheruses redirect. I'm not familiar enough with chemistry or the chemistry page conventions to do it correctly myself.Siawase (talk) 15:12, 12 July 2008 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Well, since while has passed I decided to be bold and add a different otheruses template. Anyone with more specific chemical knowledge is most welcome to make it more accurate. Siawase (talk) 15:42, 24 July 2008 (UTC)Reply[reply]

ok seriously why make this the main page for vinyl who in their right minds would be searching obscure chemical compounds over vinyl records

no one that is who (talk)

It's not that obscure. It's a super basic functional group and this is a useful page to chemists like myself (talk) 20:57, 16 April 2014 (UTC)Reply[reply]

—Preceding undated comment added 20:09, 12 November 2010 (UTC).


is this stuff toxic??? Jackzhp (talk) 23:43, 20 January 2011 (UTC)Reply[reply]


This is an encylopedia, I'm pretty sure its supposed to have more information than just its chemical properties, especially for something as common as vinyl. — Preceding unsigned comment added by (talk) 01:57, 7 November 2011 (UTC)Reply[reply]

absolutely; came here wanting to know about records! — Preceding unsigned comment added by 78:45:33rpm (talkcontribs) 07:54, 11 February 2014 (UTC)Reply[reply]
When in doubt, it's good to check the disambiguation page. Gramophone records are made of PVC (Polyvinyl chloride). Both of those articles are probably closer to what you're looking for. Grayfell (talk) 08:16, 11 February 2014 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Naming issue[edit]

The article should explain (a) why IUPAC wants people to use a different name, and (b) whether anybody actually does. (Journal submission standards or government regulations requiring the use of one name over the other would seem to be the relevant sources.) 121a0012 (talk) 07:26, 20 November 2011 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Usually, when chemicals have "IUPAC preferred" names, it means that the preferred one is a new name IUPAC have invented because it makes more sense, or rather, follows official IUPAC naming conventions properly. This means that terms like "vinyl" and "ethylene" are just the old terms for the same compounds ("ethenyl" and "ethene" respectively). Theres a whole wiki article about it, if you'd like: The Talking Toaster (talk) 02:43, 1 November 2012 (UTC)Reply[reply]


Bit confused why we have to really search to find this, grampahone record, come on when did that become popular, LP okay I remember LPs but I also remember 45's

Just seems there should be another way to find Vinyl records on wiki?They call me Mister Tibbs (talk) 15:21, 4 February 2016 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Move discussion in progress[edit]

There is a move discussion in progress on Talk:Vinyl (disambiguation) which affects this page. Please participate on that page and not in this talk page section. Thank you. —RMCD bot 09:46, 20 June 2017 (UTC)Reply[reply]

New article needed[edit]

New article needed: vinyl triazine (a chemical used as a Bisphenol A substitute in food can linings. (talk) 17:05, 5 March 2021 (UTC)  Done --Smokefoot (talk) 21:20, 5 March 2021 (UTC)Reply[reply]